Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ugly Man Symbol with Magical Powers

A couple days ago I was biking to school and noticed a new symbol lining the side of Reynolda Road. I have traveled the streets of Winston-Salem far and wide but had not seen this strange, vaguely menacing-looking symbol. I can only assume that it is an ancient hieroglyph of some sort. Each looked like a man wearing glasses, or perhaps with two black eyes, with a horribly crooked nose and small pursed lips.

I have not figured out the meaning of these odd symbols that now line Reynolda, but they nonetheless appear to be imbued with special powers. Immediately after seeing these new symbols, I have felt new confidence. Instead of zig-zagging through the neighborhood streets of Winston to get to work, I now bike along these symbols on the busier Reynolda Road, more secure that I will not end up a crush of limbs wrapped around someone's bumper. In turn, I've shaved 5 minutes from my commute. Magic...

Strange hieroglyph sighted on Reynolda Road.

2 comments:

Jess said...

In Seattle we've had those for a while, but without the helmets... I think only recently someone stenciled helmets on all of them, or had them redone entirely. I'm not sure, my husband would know...

It's good to know it's infused you with new speed-enhancing confidence, though! I'm sure the drivers to your left have been similarly infused with a new respect for those pesky cyclists! Sure worked here! *grumble*

Lori said...

hahaha....that's amazing. good ole top-down processing. ;)