Monday, May 18, 2009

Not in Seattle anymore

Earlier today on a trip to Krankies:
DW: "What would you like to drink Doodles?"

Doodles (note: former Seattle barista): "Oh... I'll take an Americano. Ooooh, a double-short Americano, mmmmmm...."
--Doodles leaves to snatch a table, leaving me to think "What the hell is a 'double-short Americano?' Oh well... maybe its a barista thing." --
DW to barista: "I'll take two medium Americanos. And can I get one of them *double-short*?"

Barista: **stares at DW blankly**

DW: I don't know what it is either.
--Awkward silence until Doodles comes back--
DW: "What the hell is a double-short Americano?"

Doodles: "Oh, it's just an Americano with two shots of espresso."

DW: "Oh. I see." (*thinks, thinks*) "So a double-short Americano is a double-shot Americano." (*thinks, thinks*) "What do you need that extra 'r' for?"

Barista: "You Seattle people think you are so cool with your high-falutin' coffee terminology."*
* Didn't actually say that, but I'm sure that's what he was thinking.

1 comment:

Pamphilia said...

In Montreal we had something called a "Café allongé," (elongated coffee) which was 2-3 parts espresso to 1 part water. Would this be like a double sho(r)t americano? Those allongés were good. I miss them.