Monday, August 17, 2009

Goodbye, Breakfast Club

Despite the timely title, the title is hardly a tribute to the late John Hughes (although plans for a Breakfast Club party are percolating). No, this post is actually intended as a way to pay my respects to the passing of my own Breakfast Club -- a group that I regularly did brunch with here in Winston for the past two years. With JaryMane leaving town on Saturday for the bright lights of Chicago, and DJ Dan heading to the West Coast only weeks before, I have suddenly found myself the only Breakfast Club member left to roam our old stomping grounds in Winston.

Below I detail -- In Memoriam -- the members of my Breakfast Club. RIP.

DJ Dan. AKA, "the Athlete"
Earned his nickname through keeping a ridiculous pace during hikes to South Mountain or the Profile Trail around Grandfather Mountain and never breaking a sweat. Jerk.
J.P. AKA, "the Princess"
Earned her nickname through the fact that she was obviously worshipped by DJ Dan. Molly Ringwald had nothing on J.P.
"GED", AKA, "the Brain"
The ironically-named GED was the first one to leave, moving on to the rarified lands of New York City law schools, where she has already started her inevitable march to the US Supreme Court.
DW, AKA "the Criminal"
Oh yes, recently I got all my hair cut off. Arrrgh! I'm a pirate.
JaryMane, AKA "the Basketcase"
Earned her nickname through the fact that she is a vegan who kills rats (true! trying figuring that one out...) and the fact that she left Winston-Salem for Chicago. What is she thinking? That's right, she's crazy. But she will be missed.

My closing tribute to the Breakfast Club:
We accepted the fact that we had to sacrifice whole Sunday mornings eating brunch with one another for whatever it was we did wrong, but we think its crazy to write an essay telling you who we think we are. You may see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions: We found that each one of us is a brain, an athlete, a basketcase, a princess, and a criminal.

Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.

3 comments:

Liesl said...

Ha! I'm so honored by my nickname since not one, but TWO professors were skipped by and I, with only a mere "some graduate education" won that crowning title.

P.S. I like your haircut!

jarymane said...

I do look particularly insane in this pic!! Please don't miss that the smoothie matches the dress ;)

much love friends!!!

-DW- said...

Eating a smoothie that matches the dress is just plain smart.

As for Gedmark - don't be too complimented by the fact that we gave you "The Brain" -- I mean really... do you really think we could have given you "The Athlete"?*

*oh snap